Monday, June 11, 2012

Australia: My second favorite country












(originally written over a year ago!)
I find Australia a diverse and fascinating continent. Believed to have been one of the first continents to break away form Pangea long ago, the land was isolated for centuries and therefore devoloped unique wildlife, unlike any other wildlife system on earth. With most of the continent being desert and grassland, the animals and native peoples alike are tough and accusomed to the hot, dry climate of the outback. The Aborigines are the native peoples and are believed to have come from the Pacific islands. Later on, England took control of the land and began shipping prisoners there to work. Australia was a prison isle for quite some time. My knowledge of it all is very fuzzy, and I wish I knew more. I plan to read up on my Australian history some this summer. What I do know I gained from my World Geography course this past freshman year in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment